Thanks to all who helped me, Barbara Arredondo, put this meeting together in a short time! Also, a huge thank you to Thomas Buck, Lochwood NA who took this Audio recording and Meeting minutes. Great job, Thomas. We had approx. 200 people attend.
Visit our Facebook page for the event details: https://www.facebook.com/events/756447707797313/
Location: Lake Highlands Baptist Church, 642 Brookhurst Drive, Dallas, TX 75218, United States
Time: 7 PM - 8 PM
DPD will be providing our community with an update on recent crime sprees in our Area neighborhoods, crime trends, Safety tips, procedures for calling 911, and a Q&A session. Please ensure to invite your elderly neighbors who may not be on social media. The meeting will start at 7PM promptly and end at 8 PM promptly. Please consider volunteering for the VIP program to patrol our neighborhood: http://www.oldlakehighlands.com/security...
If you are not a Current OLHNA member, please sign up and pay your $20 dues (per Household) or $5 for Seniors. As you can see with latest crime issues, it helps to have an active Neighborhood association. It takes members to keep us active: http://www.oldlakehighlands.com/store/c1...
The OLHNA Board held an emergency meeting this evening, started at 6:15 PM and ended at approx. 7:30 PM. This afternoon, I spoke to Officer Hicks who also works with Officer Robinson. These DPD Officers are our go to for our Neighborhoods East of the Lake. I called Sgt. Jones who had already talked to neighbor, Natalie Masters. He put me in touch with Officer Hicks. Here's the plan:
1. DPD and Dallas ISD Police have stepped up patrol in our neighborhood. Extra patrol officer's have been patrolling the area where Suzy Renz lives (Easton, Bon Aire area to Northwest Hwy). Several neighbors have reported seeing the Officer's presence this week.
2. DPD and Dallas ISD Police have also started extra patrol in our entire neighborhood. They have committed to doing this in the interim (meaning between now and 8/17).
3. They have committed to attending a Town Hall meeting on 8/17/15. The OLHNA Board is working on locking down the location. Please stay tuned for more info., but please SAVE THE DATE. Start time will be 7 PM - 8 PM.
4. They have asked us to KEEP ON HIGH ALERT! Report anything to THEM via 911 that looks suspicious. PLEASE PLEASE don't report it on Next Door first. This does nothing but generate lots of posts and we need our Residents to STAY PLUGGED IN! This isn't the time for residents to shut off Next Door because of too many un-useful message/response alerts.
5. Our Volunteers and Patrol (VIP) members (25 that have the certification) were alerted today! We asked for volunteers and have about 4-5 people who responded. The first patrol occurred from 1-3 today, 8/6. Tomorrow, there will be another patrol from 5 - 7 PM. There is a possible 7 - 9 PM shift as well. THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO RESPONDED! We need more of our VIPS to sign-up to keep the momentum going. As a reminder, we will re-imburse you for gas!
6. There is an opportunity for our OLH Residents to attend the next VIP Training - You must attend both sessions to complete the certification. 8/31 and 9/1 from 7 - 9 PM are the dates! However, Melissa our Security Director is reaching out to DPD to find out if we can have an earlier event scheduled for us. Stay tuned for an update on this action item.
7. Thanks to some very pro-active OLH residents, Mark Clayton has been informed. Please see his updates on our OLH extra patrol:
8. We would like to thank our Board members for support and requesting an emergency Board meeting today, Kelye Robinson who will be helping out to volunteer at the Town Hall meeting on 8/17, Natalie Masters for calling the DPD and getting the ball rolling on many things (check out her next door updates), those that volunteered for VIP Patrol (Sam, Chris, Jim, Gary), Thank you Jo, with Elle Realty for allowing our Board to use your office for our meetings, Also, to all that I know have provided useful and helpful information - no names to mention, but thank you for volunteering your time and energy to making our neighborhood safer without anyone having to ask for your help.
Barbara Arredondo, OLHNA President
Board Meeting Attendance:
Lance Burns, Secretary
Cristi Speaks, Area 4
Melissa McSpedden, Security
Sam Samaha, Area 5
Bobby Rodriguez, Area 3
Suzy Renz, Yard of the Month
Ryan Glenn, Newsletter/Communications
Kelye Carter, OLH Resident, previous Board Member
OLH Residents, call 911 if you see any suspicious activity! Listen to your gut and CALL 911 to report the incident. With recent robbery attempts at the home of one our residents who lives off of Bon Aire, which involved the 1st attempt on a Sunday at 8 a.m. - the guy walked into the home and ran out when the homeowner met them in the kitchen! Then they came back at 4:30 a.m. the next morning and attempted to get in from the bedroom window. Last night, a resident was walking near Hexter and the Baptist Church at the corner of Northcliff and Brookhurst and was robbed at Gunpoint for her iPhone.
I've talked to police twice this week. They plan to send an extra patrol daily for the next week or so to the Bon Aire area. But, said the same thing, keep your front porch lights on every night, call 911 to report anything out of the ordinary, don't open your doors to anyone you're not expecting or recognize. Obviously, the gunpoint robbery was in broad day light and during a time that many of us our walking our dogs, walking with our children, jogging, biking, etc. so please just keep an eye out for your neighbors.
To join in on Residents patrolling our neighborhood, you must take the DPD's Volunteers in Patrol course. Hopefully these latest crime sprees in our neighborhood will tug at you to join in and start patrolling - There are 2 opportunities for VIP training - Monday, August 31, and Tues., Sept. 1. Each training class is from 7-9 at the DPD substation on NW Highway.
VIP is a volunteer patrol of our neighborhood. Partners drive the neighborhood at designated hours for 2 hours at a time, and keep an eye out for suspicious activity. If you are interested, please email Melissa at Security@oldlakehighlands.com or call her at 214/552-4972 and I can give you more information. Melissa is our Security Director for Old Lake Highlands Neighborhood Association.
DPD tells us that VIP Patrols are a major deterrent to crime in Dallas neighborhoods.