VIP is the community crime watch program composed of your neighbors who patrol the area on the lookout for suspicious activity. Residents are trained by the Dallas police, patrol in pairs in our own vehicles, and call 911 if action is warranted. Check our Upcoming Events section and our Facebook page for the Next VIP training Dates!
Contact our Security Director, Jonathan Venechanos, Security@oldlakehighlands.com, if you are interested in becoming a VIP for OLH. If you HAVE completed the VIP training, please send Jonathan your request to Patrol!!! We appreciate you.
Brochure info from DPD:
WHAT is V. I. P.? Volunteers in Patrol is a non - confrontational neighborhood citizen patrol program.
WHO does VIP involve? Interested citizens who wish to volunteer their time and desire to interact with and serve their community and the Dallas Police Department.
HOW does VIP work? VIP members will receive basic training in order to recognize suspicious or illegal activity. Volunteers will patrol in teams of two and report such activity to the Police Department.
WHY was VIP created? The purpose of this program is to provide a visible presence in the neighborhood as a deterrent to criminal activity.
TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER
In order to apply, you must
- Be at least 21 yrs old, 18-20 yrs old with Division Commander’s approval.
- Successfully pass a background check.
- Have a valid Texas Drivers License or Identification Card.
- Have a social security card.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- No Misdemeanor A or B convictions in the last 5 years or DWI convictions in the last 10 years.
- Complete a volunteer training class (additional training may be needed for certain positions)
- Must be a member of an established crime watch or homeowners group.
- Must not have any outstanding tickets or warrants.
- Must complete application and sign waivers
All potential volunteers must complete an application, sign a waiver of liability and confidentiality agreement and pass a criminal background check conducted by the Dallas Police Department’s NPO Unit.
Prior to participating in the program, you must successfully complete the Volunteers in Patrol training class which consists of 4 hours of instruction provided by the Dallas Police Department.
Application and waivers can be found at: http://www.dallaspolice.net/ community/volunteerProgram.html
Complete and Return to: Officer Kevin Kelley Northeast NPO Unit 9915 E. Northwest Hwy Dallas, TX 75238.
VOLUNTEERS IN PATROL Allows citizens to have an active part in combating crime in their patrol area. Help citizens achieve a safer neighborhood through heightened emphasis on citizen involvement in crime prevention. Supplemental detection and reporting of suspicious persons and activities to the Police Department. Presence of law-abiding citizens patrolling the streets throughout the City of Dallas.
For Additional Information Contact: Officer Kevin Kelley at 214-681-3476